Saw this on Huffington Post today and liked it...
10 Steps to Getting What You Want
1. Be YOU. There is only one YOU on this planet. Take advantage of that. You are inspiring, creative, intelligent and capable. Spending any energy trying to be like someone else is foolish.
2. Do What You Love. When doing something you love, no matter what you'd be getting paid, or think the outcome might be, not only will you enjoy yourself more, but you have a better chance of actually creating a sustainable life. Happiness is contagious.
"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." Milton Berle
3. Trust your instincts. "I feel there are two people inside of me -- me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." Kim Basinger
4. Work hard. No one is going to do the work for you.
"Hard work has made it easy. That is my secret. That is why I win. If it were easy everyone would be a champion." Nadia Comaneci
5. Be nice to people. "Your Karma is a continuum, part of the process that is happening to you now, not something far away in future life." - OSHO
6. Don't listen to your critics. "If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business." Abraham Lincoln's words
7. Be Patient. Things might not (and usually don't) happen in the timing that you want. Patience can be your biggest asset. Cultivate it.
"If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent." Isaac Newton
8. Take Care of Yourself. Your health is a responsibility that is completely in your control.
"Every human being is the author of his own health or disease." Buddha
9. Stop Complaining. If you don't like how something is, change it. We can't change everything, but we can do quite a bit about our circumstances when we drop the complaints.
"Instead of complaining that the rosebush is full of thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses." Proverb
10. Have Fun. If you're not having fun then what's the point?
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." Katharine Hepburn